Tuesday 3 May 2016

Cop The Red Carpet - Met Gala 2016

Hi Guys! So I was on night shift last night to see all the looks on the red carpet at the Met Gala. Some looks were WOW, some were okay and others just didn't make the cut in my eyes. So let's have a look at my favourites and fashion foul's..

There was a clear theme of silver sequin, disco ball mirror, robot like style on the carpet last night. Well, that's my way of describing it. I think that is what kind of underwhelmed me about some people's choices, I wanted people to push through and stand out, but the same colour and the same style kept coming, and coming. The three people that stood out for me was Emily Ratajkowski, Rosie Huntington and Bella Hadid.
I've been talking about the thigh high trend that has been gracing the red carpets from the start of the year, and it really doesn't ever get old! This bronze beauty was absolutely outstanding. She wore a monochrome dress by Prabal Gurung, it had the high thigh, low back and side boob effectiveness that you want to see on the carpet. It obviously helps matters when you have the body and face of Emily Ratajkowski. She nailed everything right down to the hair and make up. Obsessed with this look, my favourite look of the night, she is unreal.

This absolute beauty pulled through looking like the most perfectly polished, flawless Greek Goddess! Rosie Huntington has been killing red carpets from her first and she never disappoints. Rosie opted for a one shoulder, thigh high, custom Ivory Ralph Lauren dress. I love the fact the dress itself is pretty plain but the effect it has was colossal. The same goes with her hair and make up, she's not someone who cakes the make up on and spends hours on her hair, her look is always simple and her beauty just radiates through. She of course walked the carpet with her man Jason Statham and they both looked amazing. Jason wore a collar tuxedo also by Ralph Lauren's Purple Label, completely nailed it! Can't deal with these two, my pick for the hottest couple on the carpet last night.

I've said many times before how much I love Miss Bella Hadid. She has definitely stepped out of her sisters shadow and makes her own stamp on red carpets. I'm low key goth at heart, majority of my wardrobe is black and I love that Bella is pretty much the same. She absolutely stunned in this black Givinchy gown. Again with thigh split which I said would be huge on the carpets this year. The thing I love about this look is the fact she paired the dress with thigh high boots as well, she could have went with a bare leg but this was so stand out. She too walked the carpet with her man The Weekend, him too dressed in Givinchy. I love these two on carpets together, they compliment each other very well, a close second to Rosie and Statham but both couples were amazing!

Honourable mentions of course go to the Kardashian/Jenner clan. As always they all looked stunning, but I just feel as if we see these looks all the time?! I'm obsessed with Balmain and the detail in these dresses are insanely outstanding, but we've seen the girls walk carpets in Balmain before, I would have like to have seen them in something different or at least a different style. We seen similar styles at the last Yeezy Szn show and we were all blown away, but WE'VE SEEN IT. Kendall was the only one who opted for Atelier Versace and even though she is flawlessly stunning, it didn't wow me. The racer top half of the dress isn't a look I like on her. I actually liked Kanye's look, I think the contact lenses worked well for him but again it was a Balmain jacket with jeans. It's pretty much what I expected from Kanye, again I liked it but it didn't wow me. Having said that, Kim and Kanye did make my number 3 for best dressed couple. Tyga actually suprised me. He was very MJ I thought and I ain't mad at it! I would have liked to see him walk the carpet with Kylie because I think their looks would have complimented each other. No shade thrown, I just would have liked to see them all doing something a bit different. And for it being Kylie's first Met, she did look amazing.

Again I think Jourdan Dunn, Gigi Hadid, Ciara and Taylor all looked phenomenal but their styles were all pretty similar which made it hard for any of them to stand out from the other. Even colour wise, everything was very silver and metallic. All stunning girls, unreal figures, but it's the Met Gala, the Grammy's of fashion, I would have liked something more. Again no shade, they are all absolutely stunning. 

Now onto my worst dressed. First up needs to be Zayn. I know I'm probably upsetting all girls everywhere but there was really no need for this robotic arm look. He reminded me of Jax from mortal kombat, like a low budget version. It just wasn't a good look at all, would maybe be more suitable for a comic or superhero film premier, but it was just wrong on so many levels at the Met Gala. It actually took the look away from Gigi when they posed for pictures because you were drawn to his bloody ridiculous arms! A complete no-no, I could go on all day about it. It doesn't look good, guys aren't going to be copying it anytime soon and the levels of awful were through the roof, please step it up next time Zayn!!

SJP, you are such a style icon but what the hell?! I'm all for a suit on a woman, I think it's a great look for the carpet but it really underwhelmed me. I don't know if it's because I expect her to look Carrie Bradshaw at all times, but I just wanted more. It would be nice for a ladies lunch, not the Met Gala. Love love love you SJP,  but YOU ARE CARRIE ALWAYS - please step it up next time.

Rita Ora I think was a year too late. I feel this Vera Wang dress was very last year, it was in tune with Beyoncé, Kim K and Jlo's dresses Met Gala 2015. Because it's been done, it wasn't a big deal this time around. It was kind of like 'oh she looks good' but then onto the next look. Again the look has been done, I would have liked something new and fresh to the carpet. Expected more from Rita, she normally wow's me with her edgy look but again it was very underwhelming.

I feel sad even typing this but Beyoncé was probably the biggest disappointment for me. As always we wait forever to see what she is wearing, and last year the wait payed off but this Givinchy dress just didn't work. The shoulder puffs are horrendous, I think the more I look at it, if the dress didn't have these, it probably wouldn't be as bad. You have the tightness of the latex and then these big loose, puffy shoulder puffs and it looks dreadful. I actually liked the colour on her, I think it complimented her well but the random confetti like design wasn't great either, just a real disappointment all round. This is a few times now Bey hasn't been up to her usual standard. She is touring at the minute so maybe we can put it down to the fact she is busy?! I think last years look was perfect and the way she worked the carpet, you could tell she was feeling herself. The old maiden look this year though, definite thumbs down. She stood out for the wrong reasons this year for me.

So who was your best and worst dressed?! For a fashion lover like me, it was worth the huge bags I have under my eyes this morning to see the carpet live. If you want to channel the Met Gala Carpet, get some thigh high boots, the split or opt for something metallic. Have a great day, until next time..

Kx

Inquiries/Collabs/Emails - kerryobx@hotmail.com

20 comments:

  1. I wasn't aware of this event until I read your post. Thanks for enlightening me. I am going to check it out on YouTube now.

    Fatima | www.blogsbyfa.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also watched the Red Carpet and most of the outfits I loved them. Reading tweets and reviews made me realise than most bloggers mislead the theme of this year's Met Gala and thought they were goin to see futuristic outfits but in reality all of the outfits were accoirding to the theme and exhibition. Balmain and silver cololur where the most requested among the celebrities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post made me aware of this event and just how big it is. . . I do like most of the dresses except that Beyonce looks really simple and could have dressed better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rosie H.Whitely killing it as usual. She is STUNNING. What the heck is Kanye wearing? I don't understand his 'style' but that's just me. Kendall no doubt was unreal though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was very underwhelmed by the looks at the Met Gala too, I feel like everyone just looked the same . Where has all the colour gone lol?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Givinchy gown that Bella wore is simply stunning. Of course, she was definitely able to pull off that look without a doubt. I'm in total agree with you about SJP - WTH?? Her whole look was just so blah! Her hair, her clothes - it just looked like she didn't even bother to try! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me as you said Rosie Huntington looked the best, simple yet elegant with the custom Ivory Ralph Lauren dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't dig the Kanye and Kim look, but LOVED what Claire Danes wore with that Cinderella dress that lit up!! And Taylor Swift looked bad ass too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched it but have still spent my day looking at photos online! Everyone looked fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Bella Hadid's dress and overall look. Classic. . . timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ive never even heard of this event until today! It is so interesting! I love simplicity and elegance instead of over the top! So Rosie looks the best to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many fabulous outfits in one place! I loved those white ones. It's kind of a new colour for dresses. For me SJP was a bit dissapointment - she's always so gorgeous but that outfit was not the best for a gala like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm always excited about the Met Gala so I can see all of the fashion. My favorite this year was Emma Watson! I l also feel like Beyonce could've done much better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved your assessment on the looks. I think I agree with you on almost all of them. I haven't seen any pictures of the rest of the people though so I can't tell you who my favorite is yet!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't realize the thigh slit was back again. Most of these are lovely. I'm not really digging the SJP outfit tho. What is that?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fashion not my cup of tea but you have the passion. I think Beyonce tried in that outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fashion not my cup of tea but you have the passion. I think Beyonce tried in that outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to agree with you I wasn't really impressed by any outfit all the dresses looked the same. My faves were the Rosie's very elegant but again i feel like I have seen her wearing it, no originality

    ReplyDelete
  19. I couldnt believe SJP wore a kind of outfit like that in Met Gala.

    ReplyDelete
  20. love the dresses, of course, who wouldn't! I would like to be a part of the red carpet gala give me a reason to dress up : )

    ReplyDelete